Remember this Easy Technique when you’re in the moment, right after an upsetting situation, or before you head into a difficult situation, or as a daily “vitamin” for stress reduction! This is the at home DIY version of Neuro Emotional Technique that is called FIrst Aid Stress Tool, or FAST for short.
- Identify what’s bothering you. Rate your distress level from 0-10: 10 being the most upset and 0 feeling peaceful and calm.
- Line Your Fingers along the thumb side of your wrist from the wrist crease as in this picture:
- While holding those 3 spots with your fingers, place the open palm across your forehead.
- Breathe in your nose and out your mouth while concentrating on the feelings of the issue of distress. Do at least 3 complete breaths. If you are not in a hurry breathe in and out until you feel the shift. The emotional “charge” will feel more neutral.
- Switch hands – touching the 3 points with your 3 fingers on the other wrist, and covering your forehead with the other hand.Repeat the breathing while focusing on the upsetting feelings.
- Rate your level of upset again from 0-10. Repeat this breathing exercise as needed throughout the day.
When working through a big thing, whether it’s chronic anxiety, panic attacks, work stress, or daily life or relationship stress, stick with using FAST a minimum of twice daily every day until the situation/feelings fade and no longer created a big reaction for you.