As Chinese Medicine is a system of 8 complimentary modalities, acupuncture is not always the one and only therapy I use for kids. Another super effective and important solution is HERBS! I don’t prescribe herbs for every kid I see, however, we will discuss whether this approach is the right approach for your child depending on his or her specific case.
This brings up another objection from kids (and adults alike) – “If it tastes bad I won’t take it!” – Ah, yes, the almighty tastebuds. It’s amazing how much influence such tiny things have over so many of us, kids especially! Of course nature intended this to prevent us from poisoning ourselves, but I assure you, our tastebuds nowadays have been well trained by the Standard American Diet which is markedly devoid of some of the main healing flavors such as Bitter or Sour or Acrid while being, honestly, overpoweringly sweet. But it’s the use of 5 Flavors that is the secret to how this stuff works.
So what advice do I have to get the stuff into your kiddos?
- Just get it down! This could mean using a straw to get it down the hatch bypassing as much of the tongue as possible.
- For very little kids, I’m ok with mixing it with applesauce or a spoonful of honey (sorry Mary Poppins, we’re going unrefined here ;).
- Incentives? Bribery? Parents may need to resort to some sort of compensatory bargain to get kids to take their herbs.
Some kids are just motivated to feel better so when I explain that just 2 cups of a funny tasting tea a day will help them, they’re willing to go along. Of course, it really helps if they see Mom or Dad taking their herbs! (Hint, hint. More on that in another blog).
Why Do Parents Bring Their Kids In For Treatment? What can herbs help with?
Some conditions that may be best treated with acupuncture and/or herbs include:
- ADHD/ Behavioral or Emotional Disorders
- Menstrual Issues with preteen and teen girls
- Coughs and Colds
- More serious conditions such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Joint Pain/Juvenile RA, etc.
Overall, we can help your child’s natural immunity and healing mechanisms to work better by removing impediments, calming the nervous system, and creating internal balance.